In the world of upholstery, “fabric vs. leather” has been a long-running debate. Many furniture companies and interior design blogs will argue that leather is more durable and easier to clean than traditional upholstery fabrics — but is there any truth to this?
As a customer searching for new furniture, many questions will cross your mind. What is the best fabric for a sofa? How can I make my furniture last? Which is better: fabric or leather? With so many overwhelming answers and opinions, it can be tough to decipher which types of upholstery fabric may suit your unique needs best.
The furniture experts at Living Designs Furniture are here to give our take on the fabric vs. leather debate by laying out the pros and cons of each upholstery choice.
Leather: Pros & Cons
Why people love leather
Leather has dominated the textile industry as the go-to sofa fabric choice for decades. The sleek look of leather can fit a variety of aesthetics from edgy to academia. Here are a few reasons why customers love leather for their furniture:
- Leather is timeless and will never go out of style
- Leather is easy to clean (great if you have kids, pets, or love to host guests)
- Leather is extremely durable and can fend off wear and tear
- Leather doesn’t hold onto dust, making it a great hypoallergenic option
Disadvantages of leather furniture
Now, even though leather looks amazing, it may not be the best option for every household. Here are some notable disadvantages of leather furniture:
- Leather scratches easily which can be difficult to manage if you have pets
- Leather is not completely stain-resistant
- Leather tends to be expensive
- Leather can often limit your style and color choices
- Leather can be unpleasant to sit on in very hot or very cold temperatures
Fabric: Pros & Cons
Why people love fabric
Although leather is beloved by many, traditional upholstery fabrics tend to be the more common choice among furniture buyers. Here are some reasons why:
- Fabric is typically more affordable
- Fabric offers many choices that come in a variety of styles, textures, and colors
- Fabric can be more comfortable
- Fabric can be cleaned with a wider variety of tools including vacuums, steam cleaners, etc.
- Fabric doesn’t scratch as easily as leather
Disadvantages of fabric furniture
Traditional fabric, although versatile, can sometimes be a pain to upkeep. Here are some reasons why fabric furniture may not suit your home:
- Fabric has to be cleared more often
- Fabric of certain types can be easily stained and are less durable
- Fabric can wrinkle easily resulting in a messy appearance
Traditional fabric vs. leather: Which should you choose? (Hint, it’s neither!)
While traditional fabric and leather have their pros and cons…we’re going to let you in on a little secret. If you want an upholstery option that has ZERO cons, we recommend choosing performance fabric for your furniture. Performance fabric is a durable upholstery fabric that is easy to clean and comes in a variety of colors with a luxurious feel.
Living Designs Furniture carries the best upholstery fabric on the market: Crypton, the highest-quality performance fabric. This is because Crypton is:
- Both liquid and stain-resistant, making it easier to clean than any material
- Made with impenetrable materials that won’t trap in dust or hair
- Is indestructible against normal wear and tear
- Comes in endless colors, textures, and feels that can complement any person’s lifestyle and personal style
If you are an individual who has children, pets, or has a passion for hosting guests in your home, investing in a piece like a performance fabric sectional will last you a lifetime.
Living Designs Furniture carries the best upholstery furniture in Houston
While other furniture makers may tell you to choose between fabric vs. leather, we believe that you should be able to choose what will best fit your lifestyle. The experts at Living Designs Furniture can help you create your dream furniture pieces that are built to last while uplifting your personal aesthetic. We carry endless upholstery options that come in thousands of colors and textures so you can have pieces that reflect who you are and what you need in your home.
Come by our Downtown Houston showroom and speak to one of our experts today about fulfilling your upholstered furniture needs.
More Helpful Articles by Living Designs Furniture: